The AD Workbench switched to Time-based One-Time Passwords (TOTP) for authentication at 1000 UK time / 0500 EST on August 17th, 2023.
TOTP provides increased security and ease of use compared to SMS/voice authentication. It removes the need for a cellular connection in environments where only WIFI is available. Instead, users are prompted for a time limited code from a Microsoft app (or any other authenticator app of choice) each time they log in.
The way you log in to AD Workbench is changing! Please follow the steps below.
1. Install Microsoft Authenticator (or any other authenticator app of choice) found in the appropriate the App store for your phone or by scanning the QR codes for your device from this page.
2. Log in to the AD Workbench as normal.
3. Following the change to TOTP on August 17th 2023, you'll be presented with a QR code to scan. When you see the QR code, open the Authenticator app on your device.
4. From the Microsoft Authenticator app, select the ‘+’ at the top right of the app to add a new application to authenticator.
When adding an account, select Work or school account, then choose Scan QR code. This will open your camera app within the authenticator to scan the QR code. Frame the QR code within the box presented.
An option for the AD Workbench will now appear in the list of applications and refresh to a new verification code every 30 seconds.
5. Once scanned, you will now be prompted to enter the code from your Microsoft Authenticator app into the login screen.
Open your app and find the code for AD Workbench.
Enter the code, select verify and you will be redirected to the AD Workbench landing page.
6. From now on, when logging into AD Workbench you will be prompted to provide a verification code from Microsoft Authenticator. You will not be required to scan any further QR codes.
Document developed 9 August 2023.